Saturday 17 December 2011

Winter Skin

Thank goodness the name of this blog is Run WOMAN run, or I don't think I would get away with a post like this, although I am sure male runners must suffer from the same problems, they are probably far too hardy to mention them. Thing is while I love running outdoors when the weather is as inclement and brass monkeys freezing as it is at the moment my skin really pays the price.

I have chapped hands courtesy of my poor running glove choice (you will be glad to know I have now upgraded with a lovely cosy pair from the lovely Sweatshop in North Finchley) and my face is dry and flakey. Not a look that I am particularly fond of, so I have decided that at the grand old age of 40 I perhaps need to look into some more effective moisturisers to keep the cold and wrinkles at bay.

To this end I am testing out a few lotions and potions to see which works best against the arctic conditions. So far I have uncorked Skin Doctors Super Moist SPF30+ Accelerator, though after a single use I don't think I am quite ready to comment, but I think that even in the cold weather my battered skin could do with some sun protection as even it doesn't keep me warm, it plays havoc with the wrinkles.

I am also trying out a couple of hand creams to undo the damage I have inflicted on them. The sad thing is that no matter how well you take care of your face, your hands tend to betray your age, especially if they are red raw with the cold. I am crossing my old lady fingers that Skin Doctors Younger Hands fufills its promise to make my hands look 10 years younger in just six weeks. We shall see.

Also giving Weleda's Calendula Weather Protection Cream a go, it's meant for babies so I am a bit out of it's age range, but apparently it can still help the more mature woman and to be honest I need all the help I can get.

So apologies for a post that has precious little to do with running and a whole lot to do with my vanity. I hope fellow female runners will appreciate the report back from the coal face of cold weather creams, and even if they don't hopefully I will have less chapped and dry skin, so it's a win win situation, something you don't often get with running.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh - it's not very sexily packaged or expensive or anything, but try Nutrogena - it was formulated to keep Norwegian fishermen's skins in good nick, so if it can repair the damage done by Scandinavian sea winds, salt water and hours and hours of exposure, I reckon it'll sort out your North London Running Skin in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty is one of the most important property of a girl. Actually now these days not only girls but both the boys and girls are thinking about this beauty. Very funny discussion about this website domain name.Yonka

    ReplyDelete